HP Deskjet 6940 Printer Troubleshooting Solutions to Fix Issues
The HP Deskjet 6940 printer troubleshooting is a step by step guide to solve the printer issues. If there are printer software or hardware issues, the troubleshooting solutions are used to fix the issues.
HP Deskjet 6940 won’t print
- The HP Deskjet 6940 won’t print because of ink cartridges or paper issues.
- Follow the solutions provided here to fix the HP Deskjet 6940 printer troubleshooting issues and print without any problem.
- Reset the printer. Push down gently on the Power button of the printer. With your printer powered on, unplug the power cable from the rear of your product.
- Remove the electrical cord from the wall outlet. Wait for around 15 seconds and replug the power plug into the wall socket.
- Connect the electrical cable into the back of your printer. If the printer is still switched off, tap the Power button to turn it on.
- Check and remove the wrinkled, dusty, or ripped paper from the paper tray and then load blank, white, and unused paper.
- Tap the stack of appropriate paper on an even surface. Ensure that the stack has more than 10 sheets of paper but less than 25 sheets.
- Insert the paper into the tray properly and push inside to make it rest against the paper. Make sure that the paper is fully moved inside.
- Try cleaning the paper rollers to fix the issue. Press the Power switch to turn it off. Remove the power plug from the rear of your product. Remove the access door.
- Clean the rollers with a lint-free cloth damped in distilled water. Let it dry and then slide the access door inside. Now, replug the power cord to the printer and try printing again.
HP Deskjet 6940 error codes
- The HP Deskjet 6940 error codes are displayed when there are HP Deskjet 6940 printer troubleshooting issues which need to be solved in the printer. The error codes denote the error message which can be related to printing, scanning, connectivity, etc.
- There are a few errors which show on the printer. The error codes are a combination of numbers and letters (alphanumeric code).
- Remove the ink cartridges from the printer and reset the printer to clear the error message. Switch on your printer and wait until it is silent.
- Remove the USB cable from the rear of the printer. If the printer is on a network or wireless connection, leave it connected.
- To remove the ink cartridges, take it out of the printer. With your printer switched on, remove the power plug from the rear of your printer and wall outlet.
- Do not continue for at least a minute. Plug back the power plug into the wall socket and the printer. Power on your printer if it does not automatically turn on.
- Wait while the printer goes through a warm-up period. When it is finished and the printer is silent, reinsert the ink cartridges and close the cartridge access door.
- Print a calibration page if you get a prompt asking for the same. If you have disconnected the USB cable, connect it again to the back of the printer.
- Try to print and then check if the issue is resolved.
- Service your printer if none of the HP Deskjet 6940 printer troubleshooting steps solve the issue.
HP Deskjet 6940 error lights
- The HP Deskjet 6940 error lights indicate the issue on the printer.
- HP Deskjet 6940 error lights are also used to tell the status of the printer.
- Check if the Power light is blinking. If it is, then it means that the printer is getting ready to print. The Power light will flash while your printer receives the data.
- Do not perform any action because this does not denote any error. Wait for the product to finish processing the print task.
- View if the Power light and one or both of the Print Cartridge status lights are active. The reason behind this error is related to the ink cartridges.
- If the ink levels in one cartridge or both the cartridges are low on ink, these error lights will appear.
- Check the ink levels from your Windows XP computer and replace the ink cartridges that are low on ink.
- Go to the Windows taskbar, tap Start, click All Programs, tap HP, and select HP Solution Center.
- Click Settings in the HP Solution Center window. Select Printer Toolbox in the Print Settings option. Wait while the toolbox opens.
- Click the Estimated Ink Levels tab to see the ink cartridge level. If both the cartridges are low on ink, replace both of them. If none of them are low on ink, continue printing.
Is HP Deskjet 6940 compatible with windows 10
- The HP Desk Jet 6940 is compatible with Windows 10 by setting Windows update to download driver software automatically. Then, connect the printer to the computer.
- For wireless network connection in Windows 10, search Windows for Control, and choose Control Panel from the results.
- Select View Devices and Printers -> Add a Printer. Then, Choose a Printer or Device to add to the PC window opens. And, if your printer is in the list, choose it, select Next and install the driver. Else, if the Printer is not in the List, select The Printer I want isn’t listed & choose Add a Local or Network Printer with the manual settings. Choose Next and then click the port to be used by the printer, such as USB001 for a USB connected printer, and then choose Next.
- Select Windows Update & wait for the print drivers to update. Choose HP and click the name of the printer in the Printer’s pane. If the printer is in the list, choose it and select Next and install the driver.
- If the Printer name is not listed in the list, choose the back arrow in the upper-left corner of the screen two times to return Find a Printer by other options. And, select Add a Printer using TCP/ IP address or hostname and select Next.
- Choose AutoDetect from the Device Type drop-down list. Type the printer’s IP address into the text box and select Next. Then, wait for the computer to connect to the printer and choose Next to download the print driver.
HP Deskjet 6940 offline
- Download the HP Print and Scan doctor on the Windows computer.
- Run the file from its downloaded location. Launch the app, tap Start, and choose your printer.
- In case your printer is not in the list, turn off your printer and click Retry.
- Follow the instructions in the HP Print and Scan Doctor application if there is a connection problem.
- Tap Yes if you are prompted to enable the printer updates and also if you are asked to set the printer as the default one.
- Check if you can print. Proceed to the next steps if the HP Deskjet 6940 printer troubleshooting issue persists.
- Set your printer as the default one from your Windows 10 computer. On the search bar of your Windows, type devices.
- Tap Printers and Scanners in the list. In case it is selected, uncheck the box next to Let Windows manage my default printer.
- Click on your printer’s name from the list and click Manage. If there are many printers in the list, choose the one which is idle or silent.
- Press Set as default under the Manage your device option. Check if you can print.
HP Deskjet 6940 paper jam
First, HP Deskjet 6940 printer troubleshooting and clear the paper jam in the printer by pressing the Resume button on the front panel of the printer. Turn off the printer. And, push the two latch handles on the rear access door of the printer toward each other & remove the door. Then, remove any paper that is inside the printer by pulling out from the back of the printer. And, replace the rear access door securely. Then, if the paper jam cannot be taken from the back of the printer, raise the cover of the printer, remove the paper jam from the front of the printer & lower the cover. Turn on the printer and then tap the Resume button. And, print the document again. Then, clear the paper jam in the automatic two-sided printing by pressing the buttons on the left & right sides of the duplexer and remove it from the printer. Remove the paper from inside the printer. Open the duplexer. Remove any paper from inside the duplexer. Close the duplexer. Attach the duplexer to the printer. Then, press the Resume button by turning on the printer. Then, clearing the paper jam from the automatic two-sided print accessory with small paper tray by tapping the buttons on the left and right sides of the accessory, and remove it from the printer. Remove the paper that is inside the printer. Lift the back lever on the accessory, & then unhook the small paper tray. Tilt the small paper tray forward & then open the lower door of the accessory. Remove the paper that is inside the accessory. And, attach the accessory to the printer with HP Deskjet 6940 printer troubleshooting manual.