HP DESKJET PLUS 4140 SETUP
HP Deskjet Plus 4140 is an affordable, all-in-one printer primarily designed for home/office printing, scanning, faxing, and copying needs. This reliable printer comes with great features, such as mobile printing, color copy, ADF, unlimited storage for fax, different connectivity options, and more. It is pretty easy to HP Deskjet Plus 4140 Setup and use.
Unpack the printer and turn it on. Install and run the HP Smart app on your Windows or Mac computer. Complete the rest of the HP Deskjet Plus 4140 setup process by following the instructions displayed in the HP Smart app window. Scroll down this page to know the HP Deskjet Plus 4140 setup process in detail.
HP DESKJET PLUS 4140 UNBOXING SETUP
Five simple steps to unbox and set up the HP Deskjet Plus 4140 printer for the first time
Step 1: Preparing the printer for the setup
Unpack your printer to begin the setup process. If you’ve already unpacked your printer, skip the following instructions, and start the step process from step 2.
- Take the HP Deskjet printer out of the box and place it on a clean surface.
- Now, gently remove all the packing materials from the inside and outside of the printer.
- Ensure that all the packing material is removed without damaging the printer parts.
- After unpacking your printer completely, place it closer to a power outlet.
- Ensure that the packing materials are recycled properly.
Step 2: Turning on the printer
- Connect your HP printer directly to a power outlet using its electrical cable.
- Now, press the Power or ON/OFF button on the printer’s control panel to turn it on.
- Wait for the printer’s Power light to become stable and the printer to complete the initial boot-up process.
- Once the printer becomes idle, go to the next step of the HP DeskJet Plus 4140 printer setup.
Step 3: Connecting printer to a computer
- Download and install the HP Smart app on your Windows or Mac computer.
- Open the app.
- If prompted, sign in to your HP account.
- Click the Add a New printer option and follow the on-screen instructions to connect your printer to the computer (on which you’ve installed the HP Smart app).
- Once the printer connects to your computer, the screen prompting you to load paper and install setup ink cartridges will open.
Step 4: Loading paper
- Gently raise the input tray of your printer.
- Move the guides to the ends.
- Now, load the paper type you wish to use for printing in the tray.
- Adjust the guides properly.
- Open the output tray and the tray extender.
Step 5: Installing the setup ink cartridges
- Open the ink cartridge access door of your printer.
- Unpack the ink cartridges.
- Install the tri-color ink cartridge on the left slot and the black cartridge on the right slot of the print head.
- Close the door.
- Now, your printer will print an alignment page.
- Place the printed alignment page on the scanner glass and scan it to complete the cartridge alignment process.
HP DESKJET PLUS 4140 DRIVER DOWNLOAD
- Go to the official page of HP.
- Click Printer and select your HP printer from the list. Alternatively, type your printer name in the field called “ Enter your serial number, product name or product number” on the support page of HP and tap Enter.
- Now, click the Software, Drivers, and Firmware tab on the support page of your HP printer.
- Check to ensure that your OS type is selected correctly in the Software Download window. (Note: If your OS type is selected wrongly, choose the correct one manually from the given drop-down menu).
- Select the printer driver(s) you need from the list and click Agree to EULA and Download.
- Now, the selected printer driver will start to download.
- Once the driver file is downloaded, install it on your computer. (Scroll down this page to know the driver installation process in detail).
HP DESKJET PLUS 4140 DRIVER INSTALL
- Double-click on the downloaded HP DeskJet Plus 4140 printer driver file.
- Click Continue in the Let’s Get Started window.
- Agree to the end-user license agreement of the printer to continue the driver installation process.
- Now, the necessary printer drivers will be installed on your computer.
- Select the desired connection type on the Connection Options screen and follow the on-screen instructions to connect your printer to the computer using the same.
- Finally, print a test page to check whether the driver installation is done successfully.
HP DESKJET PLUS 4140 WIRELESS SETUP
Wi-Fi Setup using the Push method of WPS
- Turn on your HP Deskjet Plus 4140 printer and the wireless router.
- On your printer’s control panel, locate the Wi-Fi button.
- Now, hold down the Wi-Fi button for at least three seconds and release it.
- On your wireless router, press the WPS button.
- Now, your HP printer will try to connect to the available wireless network.
- Once the printer is connected to the wireless network, its Wi-Fi light turns solid blue.
- Connect your Windows or Mac computer to the same wireless network over a Wi-Fi or Wired connection and install the printer driver on it to complete the Wi-Fi setup process.
- Run the HP DeskJet 4140 printer software on your Windows or Mac computer.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to reach the Connection Options screen.
- On the opened screen, select the USB Connection option.
- When prompted, connect your printer directly to the computer using the USB cable.
- Check to ensure that the cable is connected securely at the ends.
- Finish the HP DeskJet Plus 4140 printer USB setup by following the rest of the instructions displayed on the screen.
HP DESKJET PLUS 4140 TROUBLESHOOTING
Some common HP Deskjet Plus 4140 printer problems and the troubleshooting processes for the same are discussed below. Click Call if you need advanced technical support in resolving the same or other problems.
HP DESKJET PLUS 4140 OFFLINE
- As the first step of troubleshooting the HP Deskjet Plus 4140 offline problem, check whether the printer is ready to print. If not, prepare your printer for the print operation.
- Check and load enough paper into the tray.
- Make sure that the HP genuine ink cartridges are installed properly in their slots.
- Press the Power button on the control panel if your printer is in sleep mode.
- Make sure that the latest version of the printer driver is installed on your computer and the devices (printer & computer) are connected to the same network.
- Secondly, check whether any error message is displayed on the screen. If yes, restart your HP Deskjet Printer to clear the error. In case the same error message is displayed on the screen even after restarting the printer, then take appropriate action to clear it.
- If you’re facing an offline problem while using the Windows computer, follow the below instructions to fix it.
- Run the HP Print & Scan Doctor tool on your computer.
- Check and set your HP printer as the default printer on the computer.
- Reinstall the printer driver if necessary.
- Similarly, if you’re facing an offline issue while using the Mac computer, then run HP Smart Diagnose & Fix and check whether the problem is resolved.
- If not, re-add the printer.
- Also, reset the printer settings if necessary.
HP DESKJET PLUS 4140 NOT PRINTING
Resolving the “HP Deskjet Plus 4140 not printing” problem
- Initially, make sure that your HP printer is turned on and is ready for the print operation.
- Next, check whether your printer and smartphone or the Windows/ Mac computer are connected to the same network. If not, connect the devices to the same network.
- Check if the latest version of the printer driver is installed on your computer. If not, just download and install the latest version of the printer driver on your computer.
- Disable or deselect the Use Printer Offline option if it is selected.
- Check and configure the printer settings correctly.
- Make sure that the recommended paper type is loaded into the input tray of your printer.
- Check whether any paper is jammed inside your HP printer. If yes, remove it. (Scroll down this page to know how to clear the paper jam error on your printer).
- Restart the printer and your computer.
HP DESKJET PLUS 4140 PAPER JAM
Generally, a paper can jam in the following parts of the HP Deskjet Plus 4140 printer.
- Input tray and Output tray
- Cartridge access area
- Document feeder
- Underneath part of the printer
Follow the below instructions to clear the paper jam on your printer.
- Initially, try to clear the paper jam automatically by pressing the Cancel button on your printer’s control panel. In case it fails, try to remove the jammed paper manually from your printer.
- To do so, first, remove the remaining paper left in the input tray.
- Next, look for the jammed paper in the above-mentioned printer parts one by one.
- During the search, if you find any jammed paper, gently remove it from the printer.
- After removing all the jammed paper, reload the tray and print a test page.
- If the printer prints the test page successfully, it means the paper jam error is resolved.
*Important Note: Turn off your HP Deskjet Plus 4140 Setup and disconnect the cables from it while removing the jammed paper from the cartridge access door and the underneath parts.