HP ENVY 5640 Scan & Troubleshooting – Complete Guide
The Envy 5640 from HP is an all-in-one printer. This printer can scan, print, and copy from your computer and its control panel. You can also scan an original, save it to a laptop or desktop (on which you have installed the printer), and email it.In this blog, we have detailed how to scan, send to an email and save as a PDF file using the HP Envy 5640 printer. Also, how to scan multiple pages of the original with HP Envy 5640. The occurrence of errors or problems while using the printer or performing printer-related operations is very common. Often, users who use HP Envy 5640 have problems with their printers. We have shown how to resolve the scanner not working problem in the section below.
Read and use this article for easy and quick scan experience.
Quick instruction on HP ENVY 5640 Scanning
Scanning an item with HP Envy 5640 is fairly simple. If you are interested in scanning with HP Envy 5640, read the step-by-step instructions given here to perform this activity.
Prepare for scanning
- First Things First!
- Connect the HP ENVY 5640 printer to your computer. Install the necessary scanner drivers/apps on your computer.
- Install the HP printer software (Windows) or HP Utility (Mac) on your computer.
- See the instructions under the HP ENVY 5640 Scanner Software Download section if you want to learn more about downloading and installing the HP ENVY 5640 printer software or app on your computer.
- Place the hard copy of the original you want to scan on the printer’s scanner glass. If you want to scan a document or photo that is stored on your computer, select it when configuring scan settings.
- Enable the Scan to Computer feature on your printer if you want to save the document to your computer.
- In Windows, open the printer software. Go to Print, Scan, and Fax > Scan. Click Manage Scan to Computer > Enable.
- Open HP Utility on your Mac computer. Make sure your printer is selected correctly. Go to the Scan to Computer section. Enable the Enable Scan to Computer option by clicking the checkbox next to it.
Scan An Original
- On your Windows computer, type HP and select your printer. Wait while the HP Printer Wizard opens
- Tap > Scan a document or photo.
- Select a scan shortcut, change the job settings, and click Scan.
- The printer scans and saves the placed original to your computer.
- Open the HP Easy Scan app on your Mac computer. (You can open this app from the folder of your HP printer and the application window on your Mac computer.)
- Select your printer from the Scanner menu. Select the type of scan job from the Preferences or Presetes drop-down menu and click the Scan option.
- The printer will now begin scanning your document. Once the scanning is complete, a thumbnail of the item will appear on the HP Easy Scan software screen.
- Remove the existing item from the scanner glass, insert a new one, and click Scan Next Item in the Scan Completed dialog box if you want to continue scanning.
- Click Done if you want to complete scanning.
- Open the preview image and click Edit. Change the appearance, and then click Send. Tap Folder, edit the file name in Prefix, the location of the file, and select Save.
This is how you can scan and save an original on your Windows or Mac computer with the HP ENVY 5640 printer.
Scan To Email-Windows
Do you want to scan an item and send it to an email directly from the HP ENVY 5640 printer control panel? If so, follow the step-by-step instructions below to do so.
Set Up Scan To Email
- Configure the Scan to Email settings on your printer if you want to use the printer’s control panel to scan.
- On the printer’s control panel, tap Scan > Email. On the Welcome screen, select Next.
- Enter the valid email address you want to use for scanning in the Email: field. Tap Done > Continue.
- Enter the PIN of the email account (you entered) when prompted, and tap Done. Select the option to save your credentials and select the scan type.
- Verify the email address by following the on-screen instructions to complete the setup.
- For the computer, set up an email account through an email client or app to scan and email the original from the computer.
Scan To Email-HP ENVY 5640
Using The Printer’s Control Panel
- From the printer’s control panel, select Scan > Email.
- Place the document on the scanner glass of the printer.
- Select the email account on the Email screen.
- Tap Next. Configure the scan settings if necessary.
- Tap Scan to Email. Once the printer has scanned the loaded item, a message appears on the screen. Tap OK to email the scanned original.
Using The Printer Software
- Open the HP printer software.
- Click Scan > Scan a document or photo
- Select a shortcut for the email, like Document to Email or Email as JPEG, and click Scan.
- Tap Send and wait for a new email message to open automatically with the scan attached.
HP Envy 5640 Scan To PDF
If you want to scan an item and save it as a PDF file on your Windows or Mac computer, place the item on the scanner glass of the printer and follow the instructions below.
- Open the HP Printer Wizard to start the scanning process.
- Under the Scan section, click Scan Document or Scan Photo.
- On the opened screen, select the Save as PDF option.
- Set the scan size, resolution, and other settings according to your preferences. Make sure you select the PDF option from the File Type drop-down menu. Click Scan.
- The printer will now scan and display the scanned copy on the preview screen. Click Add to continue the scan job.
- Remove the existing item from the scanner glass and place the next item on it. Scan all pages and finally click Save to save the scanned original as a PDF file on your computer.
- Open HP Easy Scan. Scan the inserted original by referring to the instructions in the “Quick Start Guide on HP ENVY 5640 How To Scan- For Mac” section.
- After scanning the first page, remove it and place the next paper on the scanner glass. Scan the second paper in the same way. Scan all the pages of the document in a similar way.
- Select the PDF option from the Format drop-down menu and click Save.
- After you have scanned all the pages, click Send on the HP Easy Scan screen. Now the pop-up dialog box will open, which looks like the one shown below.
HP ENVY 5640 Scan Multiple Pages-Mac
You can scan many pages and save them to a PDF file by using the HP Easy Scan app on your Mac computer. However, you can only scan one page at a time because the HP Envy 5640 printer does not have an ADF.
- Open HP Easy Scan.
- Scan your document or photo using the scanner glass.
- Click Scan Next Item or Add in the preview window.
- Repeat all steps to scan all pages of the document and proceed to the next step to save it to a PDF file.
- Click Send > Folder. Select PDF from the Format menu, tap the Where menu, and choose a folder to save the scan.
- Select Save all items to a single file and click Save.
HP ENVY 5640 scanner software download
You need to install the most compatible and latest scanner driver on your computer to run the scan job effortlessly and quickly.
- Go to the HP printer manufacturer’s website and enter your printer model.
- Download the HP Envy 5640 printer driver for Windows or Mac.
- Run the downloaded driver file on your computer.
- During installation, make sure you install the required printer and scanner drivers.
- For Windows, use the HP Smart app, Windows Scan app, etc., for scanning.
- For Mac: use the Apple Image Capture and HP Scan software.
- Use the HP Smart app on your Android or iOS mobile devices to scan.
- Click here to learn how to download and install the HP Envy 5640 printer driver on your Windows or Mac.
HP ENVY 5640 scanner not working
Is the HP Envy 5640 scanner not working? If so, you are not alone. Like you, other HP Envy 5640 users are also experiencing this problem. Moreover, this scan issue is a common problem. So you can fix it within a few minutes. Try the following simple workarounds to fix your printer’s scanning problem.
Best And Simple Solutions
- First, make sure that the HP Envy 5640 scanner is turned on.
- Next, check if the most compatible and latest scanner driver is installed on your computer. If not, install it.
- Also, make sure that the HP Envy 5640 scanner and your computer (on which you have installed the scanner) are connected to the same network.
Resetting The HP ENVY 5640 Printer
- Press the Power button on the printer to turn it on. Without turning off the printer, unplug the power cord from the printer.
- Unplug the USB cable from the power source and wait about 30 seconds. Be careful not to plug the power cord into a surge protector or multi-plug adapter.
- Plug the power cable directly from the back of the printer to the outlet. Turn on the printer. Make a test copy if no error is displayed.
Use HP Print And Scan Doctor (Windows)
- This diagnoses and fix tool from HP helps you fix the most common printing, scanning, and other printer-related problems on your printer.
- Install and open the tool.
- Follow the on-screen instructions until you reach the Step 2 – Find and Fix Problems screen.
- Click the Fix Scanning button here.
- Fix the scanning problem by following the on-screen instructions.
Have You Learned How To Scan?
We believe that this article helped you scan and save an item or send it to various destinations using the HP ENVY 5640. You can always contact us if you need any help in performing the scanning process with your printer. You can also reach us to clear your doubts related to the information provided on this page.Our technical expert will assist you in performing the scan job and clarify all your questions about it.