- 123.hp.com »
Laserjet Pro »
- Hp Laserjet M140we Setup
Hp Laserjet M140we Setup
Setting up a printer for the first time? If yes, you’re on the right page. This all-in-one printer guide helps you set up your HP LaserJet M140we printer for the first time (from unboxing to the driver installation).HP LaserJet M140we is a multi-functional laser printer that comes with print, scan, and copy functions and the advanced HP+ features. This printer supports fast printing and easy mobile solutions like other laser printers.
It offers bonus months Toner with HP+. The key features of the HP LaserJet M140we printer are listed below:
- Convenient wireless and other connectivity options
- Memory capacity up to 64 MB
- HP Auto-On/Auto-Off technology
- Print resolution up to 600 x 600 dpi
- It works with almost all the Windows, Linux, and Mac OSs.
You can easily set up this printer on your computer using the HP Smart app or the HP Easy Start software.
Hp Laserjet M140we First Time Setup- Complete Guide
The HP LaserJet M140we printer setup is pretty easy to perform, and the overall installation process includes five simple steps.
- Preparing the printer
- Installing the toner cartridge
- Configuring the initial settings
- Loading paper
- Installing the printer on your computer
Follow the step-by-step instructions below to set up your HP LaserJet M140we printer for the first time.
Preparing The Printer
Unpack your printer to prepare it for the setup.
- As the first step of the HP LaserJet M140we setup, remove the packing materials from it.
- If you have already unpacked your printer, skip to installing the toner cartridge.
- Open the product box if you haven’t opened it yet.
- Take the LaserJet M140we printer and its components out of the box.
- Remove the printer from the packing bag and Styrofoam pieces.
- Now, unpack your printer completely by removing all the packing tapes and materials from the inside and outside of it.
- Ensure that the foam liner from the scanner glass is removed carefully.
- Recycle all the unwanted packing materials.
- Ensure that the unpacked printer is placed on a neat surface.
Installing The Toner Cartridge
The toner cartridge is pre-installed on your HP LaserJet M140we printer. However, to use the toner cartridge for printing and other printer-related needs, you have to remove the orange clips and tapes from it. Follow these simple instructions for the same.
- Gently open the toner access door of your printer.
- Remove the toner cartridge from the printer.
- Gently remove the orange clips from the cartridge.
- Now, shake the cartridge to distribute the toner.
- After doing this, remove the orange tape from the cartridge.
- Install the unpacked cartridge back into the printer.
- Close the access door.
Configuring The Initial Settings
Turn on your HP LaserJet M140we printer and configure the initial settings.
- Connect your printer directly to the electrical outlet using its power cord.
- Now, press the On/Off button on your printer’s control panel.
- Usually, when a printer turns on for the first time, it takes a few seconds or minutes to complete its initial boot-up process.
- So, wait patiently for your printer to complete its boot-up process and become stable.
- Once the printer is stable, go to the next step of the HP LaserJet M140we setup.
Get the paper type that meets your printing needs from the recommended list and load it into the input tray.
- Ensure that the input tray is empty and doesn’t contain any packing tapes.
- Now, load a stack of plain paper, envelope, or A4 paper into the tray with its print-side facing up.
- Ensure that the paper is not loaded more than the maximum limit mark.
- Also, ensure that you haven’t loaded wrinkled, folded, or damaged paper into the tray.
- Adjust the guides properly.
- Open the output tray and its extension.
By finishing this step, you have completed the hardware setup of the HP LaserJet M140we printer.
Installing The Printer Software Or App
The HP LaserJet M140we printer setup is incomplete without the driver installation. Install the recommended printer app or software on your computer to complete the setup.
For Windows 7/older Versions Of Macos
- If you’re using Windows 7 or older versions of macOS, then download and install the HP Easy Start software.
- You can download this software from the printer’s support page. (Scroll down this page to know how to download and install the HP Easy Start software on your computer in detail).
- When performing the driver installation, choose the connection type that you wish to use to connect the printer to your Mac or Windows computer and install the necessary drivers.
- Complete the remaining part of the printer driver installation by following the prompts displayed on the screen.
For The Newest Version Of Windows And Mac
- If you’re using Windows 10, 11, or macOS 10.15, etc., install and use the HP Smart app to complete the rest of the HP LaserJet M140we setup process.
- This section will walk you through the step-by-step instructions for connecting the HP printer to the Mac computer using the HP Smart app. Contact us now if you need real-time assistance installing the printer on your Windows computer using the HP Smart app.
Using The Hp Smart App (mac)
Before you begin, connect your Mac computer to a stable wireless network. Also, ensure that your printer is in Wireless Setup mode. This mode is automatically activated when you turn on the printer for the first time.
However, if it has been two hours since you turned on the printer, restore the network settings to re-enable the Wireless Setup mode. After turning on your HP printer for the first time, don’t press the Wi-Fi button because this will also de-activate the Wi-Fi Setup mode.
If you have pressed the Wireless button accidentally or unknowingly, restore your printer to re-enable the Wireless Setup Mode.
- Download the HP Smart app’s installer file from the Apple Store or the HP printer’s support page and save it on your computer.
- Extract and open the .dmg file to begin the installation.
- Click the Continue button on the “Welcome…” screen.
- Reach the Installation Type screen by following the prompts displayed on the screen.
- Click the Install button on the opened screen.
- Now, if a confirmation dialog box appears, type your Mac computer’s (on which you’re installing the printer) username and password in the given fields.
- After doing that, just click the Install Software button to install the HP Smart app on your computer.
- Once the app is installed, the Welcome to HP Smart” screen with the Get Started button will open. Click on it.
- Now, the app will try to detect the HP printers that are in Wi-Fi Setup mode and connected to the same network as your Mac computer.
- Once the detection process is done, the “We Found your printer!” screen with the detected printer name and icon will open.
- If your printer is detected correctly, click on it and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Otherwise, click Change Printer and try the other possible ways to detect your HP printer.
- After detecting the printer, connect it to the wireless network by following the prompts displayed on the screen.
- Once your LaserJet printer is connected to the Wi-Fi network, the screen prompting you to add the printer to the printer’s list will open.
- Add the printer to your computer to complete the HP LaserJet M140we setup.
Congratulations! You have successfully completed the HP LaserJet M140we setup process.
Hp Laserjet M140we Driver Download
Download the newest and most compatible HP LaserJet M140we printer driver for your OS type from the printer’s official support page by following the simple instructions below.
- Go to the official support page of HP from your computer’s web browser.
- Use the search field to search and select your printer. You can also click the Printers option to choose your printer model manually.
- Once you reach your printer’s support page, click on the Software, Drivers, and Firmware tab followed by Go (if necessary).
- Now, the Software and drivers for HP LaserJet M140we printer screen displaying the available printer drivers for your current OS type will open.
- Locate the recommended printer driver for your OS type and click the Download command below or beside it.
- Now, the recommended printer driver will start downloading on your computer.
Hp Laserjet M140we Driver Install
- Open the downloaded .dmg or .exe printer driver file on your Windows or Mac computer.
- Type your computer’s admin password in the given field if prompted.
- Choose the connection option of your preferences when prompted.
- Similarly, choose and install the necessary printer drivers on your computer when prompted.
- Install the printer driver by following the prompts displayed on the screen.
Hp Laserjet M140we Wireless Setup
You can set up your HP LaserJet M140we printer wirelessly using the HP Smart app or the WPS method. Refer to the instructions given under the “Using the HP Smart app- Mac” sub-section on this page if you wish to set up the printer wirelessly using the HP Smart app.
If you wish to use the WPS method for the Wi-Fi setup, follow the instructions below.
- Switch on your HP printer, computer, and wireless router.
- Check if the Wi-Fi Setup mode is enabled on your printer. If not, restore the network settings of your printer.
- To do so, hold down the Cancel and Wi-Fi buttons simultaneously for five seconds.
- Once the printer begins to restart, release the buttons.
- Now, press the Wi-Fi Protected Setup button on your router.
- Hold down your printer’s Wi-Fi button for five seconds and release it.
- Now, your printer will try to connect to the available wireless network.
- Once your HP LaserJet printer is connected, the Wi-Fi light on its control panel becomes stable.
- Now, connect your computer or smartphone to the same network.
- Install the printer on your device using the HP Easy Start software or the HP Smart app.
Hp Laserjet M140we Scan Setup
You can conveniently scan a hard copy of a document using the HP Smart app or the HP Easy Scan software with the HP LaserJet M140we printer. However, before you begin the scan operation, ensure that the printer’s hardware setup is completed and the printer/scanner driver or app is installed on your computer or smartphone.
Using The Hp Smart App
- Open the HP Smart app installed on your Windows, Android, iOS, or Mac device.
- Ensure that your LaserJet printer is selected correctly.
- Tap or click on the Document Scan or Scan tab.
- Load the original on the scanner glass of your printer.
- Configure the scan settings and tap or click Scan.
- Now, the printer will start scanning the placed document.
Using The Hp Easy Scan Software (mac)
- Open the HP Easy Scan software on your Mac computer from the Applications folder.
- Scan the document by following the prompts displayed on the screen.
Hp Laserjet M140we Troubleshooting
The HP LaserJet M140we troubleshooting guide provided on this page will help you resolve the “printer not printing” and “printer offline” issues. Contact our technical experts if you need real-time technical assistance in resolving the same or other issues related to your HP printer.
Hp Laserjet M140we Not Printing
- Switch on your printer if it is turned off.
- Ensure that the print settings are configured correctly.
- Check if the correct media type is loaded into the input tray. If not, remove and load the correct media type into it.
- Ensure that no error message or code is displayed on your printer or computer screen.
- Also, ensure that the toner cartridge is installed properly in its slot.
- Check if you’re able to access your printer from the computer or smartphone for other printer-related operations. If not, reconnect your printer to the computer.
- Update the printer driver if available.
- Restart the printer.
- If you’re using the Windows OS-based computer, use the diagnostic tool “HP Print and Scan Doctor” to know the cause of the print issue and resolve it.
Hp Laserjet M140we Offline
- Initially, ensure that your HP printer is ready for print operation.
- Next, check if the Use Printer Offline option is enabled on your Windows computer. If yes, disable it.
- Set your LaserJet M140we printer as the default printer on your computer if you haven’t done it yet.
- Use the HP diagnostic tool or HP Smart Diagnose & Fix tool to resolve the offline issue.
- Remove and re-add your printer.
- Reset the print system if necessary.